Butter chicken, also known as Murgh Makhani, is without a doubt one of the most popular dishes to have emerged from North Indian cuisine. The chicken is typically marinated for several hours and is cooked in a rich, thick, mildly spiced, tomato-based gravy; and is often garnished with cream.
Serves: 2-3 people
Prep Time: 25 minutes, overnight for marinade
Cook Time: 40 minutes
1 whole chicken, cut
For Marinating The Chicken
1 teaspoon red chili powder
1 teaspoon ginger and garlic paste
500 grams yogurt (a little over 2 cups)
Salt, to taste
For The Gravy
150 grams white butter (10 tablespoons)
½ teaspoon cumin seeds
500 grams tomato puree
½ teaspoon sugar
½ teaspoon red chili powder
A pinch of garam masala
Salt, to taste
½ cup fresh cream
5 green chilies, sliced
To prepare your marinating sauce, mix the red chili powder, ginger garlic paste, yogurt and salt together in a bowl and add the chicken.
Rest the chicken overnight in the refrigerator to achieve the optimum level of marinade.
Before you begin cooking, roast the chicken in an oven for about 5-10 minutes until it turns to a lovely golden brown colour. If you don’t have an oven, you can sear the chicken on the pan until you obtain the desired color.
In a pan heat 5 tablespoons of white butter and add in the cumin seeds, let it sizzle then add the tomato puree, sugar, red chili powder, a pinch of garam masala and salt. Mix these ingredients well together on medium heat.
Now it’s time to add the chicken, along with this add the remaining white butter, fresh cream and the sliced green chilies. Stir everything well together and cook until the chicken is done.
Serve with rice or warm naan.
- 5 Green Leaves You Must Pick Up From Your Local Grocer For A Healthy Winter Glow - January 17, 2017
- An Easy Coastal Fish Curry That’ll Remind You Of Your Beach Vacation - January 17, 2017
- You Only Need 3 Things For A Perfect Cup Of Chai, Every Single Time - January 17, 2017
- Easy Seafood Risotto With A Hint Of Saffron To Warm Your Insides - January 17, 2017
- Prawn Sambal Recipe: A Malaysian Import That You Won’t Get Enough Of - January 16, 2017
- Ditch Those Oily Puris! Try Something Truly Healthy & Tasty When Fasting - January 16, 2017
- Nisteachi Coddi Recipe For A Goan Fish Curry To Remember For Ever - January 16, 2017
- A Shrimp & Fish Burger Recipe For When You’re Tired Of Your Usual Juicy Lucy - January 14, 2017
- Maple Salmon: A Fish Dish That’s Just Wayy Too Dishy For A Regular Meal - January 14, 2017
- Kiwi, Pineapples, Guavas: Make Healthy Fruit Candies At Home With Dehydrated Fruits - January 14, 2017