Wine and cheese are as legendary a duo as Bonnie and Clyde. But if your pairing goes off, your dinner party can end as tragically as their love story did. Mansi Jasani of The Cheese Collective takes some time away from her love affair with cheese to ensure that nothing comes between this delicious union.
First Things First
If you’re unfamiliar with The Cheese Collective, it’s time you were acquainted. Naturally, we at EatTreat like imported cheeses as much as the next person—ok, maybe even a teeny bit more—but these guys make and curate the dairy delights from around the country (they have a curry leaf cheese!), and are determined to put India on the global cheese map. We picked their brain on wine and cheese pairings, and it’s time you got in on the intel.
Fresh & Soft
To get started, softer cheeses go with light, fruity wines.
Cheese: Chèvre, Feta, Brie, Camembert
Wine: Champagne, Riesling, Moscato, Chenin Blanc, Sauvignon Blanc, Rosé, Lambrusco, Cava
An Indian Pick: Charosa Selections Sauvignon Blanc
Semi-hard cheeses are usually perfectly paired with medium-bodied ones.
Cheese: Emmental, Gruyère, young Cheddar
Wine: Chardonnay, Viognier, Champagne, Pinot Noir, Zinfandel, Merlot
An Indian Pick: Grover’s Viognier
Dense, aged cheeses are in a party with complex wines.
Cheese: Aged Gruyère, Grana Padano, Pecorino, Manchego, Parmigiano Reggiano
Wine: Bordeaux, Cabernet Sauvignon, Barolo
An Indian Pick: Indus Cabernet Sauvignon
Blue cheese goes with dessert wines.
Cheese: Stilton, Gorgonzola, Roquefort
Wine: Port, Sauternes, Dessert wines
An Indian Pick: Bellisimo by Big Banyan
If that’s still too much to digest, just play it safe with a sparkling wine–Champagne and Prosecco—that goes perfectly with just about any variant.
By: Hitani Kaur
- 5 Green Leaves You Must Pick Up From Your Local Grocer For A Healthy Winter Glow - January 17, 2017
- An Easy Coastal Fish Curry That’ll Remind You Of Your Beach Vacation - January 17, 2017
- You Only Need 3 Things For A Perfect Cup Of Chai, Every Single Time - January 17, 2017
- Easy Seafood Risotto With A Hint Of Saffron To Warm Your Insides - January 17, 2017
- Prawn Sambal Recipe: A Malaysian Import That You Won’t Get Enough Of - January 16, 2017
- Ditch Those Oily Puris! Try Something Truly Healthy & Tasty When Fasting - January 16, 2017
- Nisteachi Coddi Recipe For A Goan Fish Curry To Remember For Ever - January 16, 2017
- A Shrimp & Fish Burger Recipe For When You’re Tired Of Your Usual Juicy Lucy - January 14, 2017
- Maple Salmon: A Fish Dish That’s Just Wayy Too Dishy For A Regular Meal - January 14, 2017
- Kiwi, Pineapples, Guavas: Make Healthy Fruit Candies At Home With Dehydrated Fruits - January 14, 2017