Renowned award-winning Chef Vikram Khatri has been in the industry for 17 years now. After working his way through Sakura at Metropolitan Hotel, The Ocean Room (Sydney), Olive and now Guppy by AI, he’s now the master of Japanese cuisine. He’s learnt the craft of Japanese cuisine from renowned Japanese chefs and strives to bring the culture, techniques and Japanese art of plating to India.
Let’s get a glimpse into the final touches he makes sure of before the dish is served and how talent meets technique.
Choose The Right Crockery
Using plates, platters and bowls which are suitable and of enhanced quality should be used. At Guppy, we use different sizes, colours, types of plates and platters depending on the dish. Apart from the standard round plates, serving on square, oval and linear platters instead gives an edge to the dish. We at our restaurant believe in “platter to plate”, which means the dishes are essentially for everyone at the table and not individual helpings—this changes the way the dish is served. Even the cutlery alongside is kept in a manner so that the user can use chopsticks or fork and knife.
Clockwise vs Asymmetrical Dressing
Definitely clockwise dressing as it usually appeals more to the human eye. A traditional tip for food presentation is imagining the plate like a clock—the dish is laid with it’s ingredients in circular position.
Drizzling, Sprinkling, Garnishing
Although the soul of the food is the main dish and it should speak for itself, other key ingredients should also be taken care of. The Pork Belly at Guppy is glazed with Honey Soy Sauce giving it the right flavour and taste. The garnishes should be edible and should blend with the dish and not have a contrasting taste to the meal. Techniques like gelling, foaming and emulsifying can add to the texture and it’s presentation. Lemon gel, soya protein gel, Herbs, air foam, edible froths are some examples.
As a chef, sometimes you can’t decide which plates, and crockery will be used by the restaurant. Hence, adapting to the cuisine and restaurant identity, the food presentation can be altered. Luckily, I have been fortunate enough to not encounter any such limitation in my career.
Philosophy & Tips
I believe that you should cook with your heart and soul. If the dish is well-cooked with a good balance of flavours, seasoned appropriately and presented well on the plate, then even a simple dish could look like a masterpiece.
Photo Courtesy Of: Guppy by AI
- #HeyRum // Try Rum For Unbelievable Benefits From This Healthy Alcohol - December 4, 2016
- Food & Health Apps In Your Phone That’ll Make Life Easy-Breezy - December 2, 2016
- Luxurious Mehrauli Restaurants For That Gorgeous View Of The Qutub Minar - December 2, 2016
- Asian Haus Is Winning The Gourmet Delivery Scene With Their Pan-Asian Fare - November 29, 2016
- Thai House By Kylin’s Seafood Coconut Thai Soup & Pandan Chicken Are Winners - November 28, 2016
- 5 Newbies To Look Out For At The New & Improved Ansal Plaza - November 23, 2016
- #EatEffect // Healthy Pet Food That Will Keep Hooman & Pet Happy - November 19, 2016
- Ek Bar’s Winter Menu Stuns With State-Inspired Dishes & Drinks - November 18, 2016
- #EatEffect // Oatmeal Cookies, Shots & Smoothies For Brekkie - November 17, 2016
- This 26-Yr-Old Built A Tea Store & Company In Australia Selling Just Chai - November 16, 2016