October will soon be here, and with it will come the slight nip in the air that we look forward to all year. We bring to you this delicious soup recipe, to keep you warm and fuzzy through the season. We’ve also added cardamom to add a spicy-sweet sort of flavour that works really well to create a nice balance with the sweet apple and savoury roasted pumpkin.
Total Time: 30-40 mins
1 medium sugar pumpkin or 1 butternut squash
1 small apple (or 1/2 a large one)
1 medium yellow onion
Drizzle of olive oil
Salt & pepper, to taste
3 cloves of garlic
1 can coconut milk
1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon additional salt
Preheat oven to 400˚F.
Cut the pumpkin or butternut squash in half and scoop out the insides (save & toast the seeds if you want).
Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper and roast cut side up for 20 minutes, flip and roast cut side down for 20-30 or until the flesh is soft.
Remove from oven, let cool, then peel the skin away from the flesh.
While the squash roasts, slice the apple and onion into wedges and arrange on a baking sheet.
Drizzle with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and roast for 20 minutes or until the edges turn golden brown. During the last 10 minutes or so, add the whole garlic cloves to the baking sheet.
In a blender, add pumpkin mash, roasted onion, apple, garlic (remove the skins), ginger, cardamom, cayenne pepper and salt. Puree until smooth. If it’s too thick, add a bit of water or broth to thin and blend again.
Taste and adjust seasonings. Store leftovers in the fridge for up to a few days.
#EatExtra: You can add a cup of coconut milk when blending the puree for a rich and creamy taste.
- Do Indian Bartenders Need To Be Good Listeners? Ek Bar’s Nitin Tewari Tells All - January 18, 2017
- Had Too Much Gajar Halwa? This Carrot & Orange Soup Is For All The Winter Love - January 18, 2017
- Shah Rukh Khan Is No Foodie! Gauri Khan Tells EatTreat About Simple Eating - January 18, 2017
- 5 Green Leaves You Must Pick Up From Your Local Grocer For A Healthy Winter Glow - January 17, 2017
- An Easy Coastal Fish Curry That’ll Remind You Of Your Beach Vacation - January 17, 2017
- You Only Need 3 Things For A Perfect Cup Of Chai, Every Single Time - January 17, 2017
- Easy Seafood Risotto With A Hint Of Saffron To Warm Your Insides - January 17, 2017
- Prawn Sambal Recipe: A Malaysian Import That You Won’t Get Enough Of - January 16, 2017
- Ditch Those Oily Puris! Try Something Truly Healthy & Tasty When Fasting - January 16, 2017
- Nisteachi Coddi Recipe For A Goan Fish Curry To Remember For Ever - January 16, 2017