You know as well as we do that it’s becoming increasingly difficult to start or maintain even a tiny kitchen garden, what with the lack of space and everything. But, we’re telling you everything you need to know so you can brighten up your balconies and terraces so you can do your bit for an #EatEffect.
Find A Well-Lit Spot
It is imperative that your plants get ample sunlight so they grow well and healthy. Pick a spot for your kitchen garden that gets about 3-4 hours of sunlight on a daily basis. It could be a balcony, your terrace, or a windowsill.
Recycle Small Containers
If you don’t want to invest in big pots or don’t have space for them, you can always recycle small containers to plant herbs and microgreens. This way you’ll have a manageable setup, and you’ll be reducing your carbon footprint by recycling those containers that you were going to throw away.
Get The Right Nutrient-Rich Soil
It’s very important for you to use soil that is a mixture of regular soil, coco peat or sand, and vermicompost. Don’t forget to replenish the soil with nutrients after the monsoon, as it tends to get washed away.
Additionally, you can use sugarcane bagasse that you can procure from your neighbourhood sugarcane juice vendor, or crushed dry leaves to mix with the soil to enrich your kitchen garden.
Selecting The Seeds / Saplings
You should pick your seeds depending on what use you have for them. You could pick culinary herbs like basil, dill, mint, rosemary, thyme, or tarragon, or even edible flowers to make those plates look pretty! Keep in mind, however, the amount of time and care that it takes to grow each of them.
Water Them Regularly
Water your plants regularly and only the required measure for them to grow. Remember, watering them too many times a day is not going to make them grow faster.
Patience is a virtue, and for good reason. It may take months before you start getting desired results and the wait can make you want to give up. But just a little patience can go a long way and can get you the fruits of your labour, quite literally!
Photos Courtesy Of: VisualHunt
This article is part of the EatTreat campaign to eat better and live more consciously. We are creating the #EatEffect. Are you with us? #GreenIsTheNewBlack. Come see us at our event – The Great Winter Picnic.
- There’s A Hot Chocolate Festival In Town Bringing Hot Chocolate Shots For 100 Bucks! - January 18, 2017
- 4 Ways To Eat Extra Creamy Mashed Potatoes When You Have Some Left Over - January 17, 2017
- #EatCheap: 6 Budget Restaurants In GK II When You’re Feeling The Cash Burn - January 17, 2017
- Chef Saby’s New Cafe Is Coming To Meherchand Market & It Looks Like A Festival! - January 15, 2017
- We Tried The Goan Chorizo-Infused Bloody Mary At Lady Baga & It Was SO GOOD! - January 14, 2017
- #EatCheap: 5 Budget Restaurants In Connaught Place Meals For 2 Under INR 500 - January 14, 2017
- Celebrate The Warmth Of Lohri With An Organic Brunch At Devang House - January 13, 2017
- McDonald’s Is Going To Have Masala Dosa Burgers On Their Menu - January 12, 2017
- Burn The Fat Without Burning A Hole In Your Pocket At These Places In Indirapuram - January 12, 2017
- #EatCheap At These Cheap Restaurants In Noida When You’re on A Tight Budget! - January 11, 2017