So you’re finally taking the much-needed plunge in the middle of the festive and wedding season. You’ve probably read countless websites repeatedly telling you about the infinite number of detox recipes that you could try when you go on your detox. Pinterest has become your best friend.
As part of the #EatEffect, we’re telling you what you need to do to make your detox successful.
1. Make A Plan & Stick To It
Now that you’ve read the websites, make a detox plan with the recipes that you plan to use for the next few weeks. Set small goals for yourself and stick to your plan so you can actually achieve them. You could get a diary to keep track of any progress that you’ve made, or use one of the many tracking apps that are available online.
2. Switch Off From Screens
This is probably one of the most important things that you should remember to do, especially if you require laptops or tablets constantly at your workplace. Give your eyes time away from bright screens. This will also help you reduce your carbon footprint a little bit at a time.
3. Purchase Groceries For 1 Week At A Time
Once you’ve made your detox plan, make a list of the fruits, vegetables, and grocery items that you require to make the recipes that you’ve bookmarked for yourself. You wouldn’t want to keep things in the fridge for too long lest it get spoilt, so you should only get these items for a week at a time. This will also help reduce wastage.
4. Avoid Obvious Environmental Toxins
If you’re used to being around secondhand smoke, it’s time that you made a conscious effort to stay away from it. Additionally, if you generally travel by roads that have industries pumping out smoke around them just because it’s shorter, take a route around it if possible.
5. Ensure That You Get Enough Sleep
Go to sleep. Once you’re done with dinner and your night-time walk, go to sleep and make sure that you’ve slept for 7-8 hours. It is not a luxury, but a necessity for your body to be well rested so you don’t feel tired the next day.
6. Learn How To Manage Your Stress
Balancing work and home, and attending to the ever growing needs of the people around you can be immensely stressful. You don’t release good chemicals into your system when you feel stressed. As a result, you may experience weight gain, illness, and feel completely drained. You’re also prone to making health choices that aren’t good for you.
7. Turn To Home Remedies Instead Of Antibiotics
The more you choose home remedies over antibiotics, the more it helps you. You may not feel it in the beginning, but your body starts responding to the ingredients like ginger and honey that you use to cure common illnesses. If you have life-saving medicines that you need to take, don’t stop those. But, try and choose natural alternatives to cure headaches and the common cold.
8. Drink Plenty Of Water
Everybody tells you this, and they’re not kidding about the wonders that it does to your health. Proper water intake helps you to have clearer skin and properly functioning organs, a more effective circulatory, respiratory, and digestive system. A detox plan needs this on the list.
9. Include Lots Of Bright Fruits & Vegetables
Use lots of fruits and vegetables like berries, beetroots, carrots, green leafy vegetables, eggplant, and tomatoes in your meals as the darker hues mean that they contain more antioxidants. These ingredients can help you to not only cleanse and get rid of harmful substances that have built up, but also fight off any harmful agent that may be trying to attach your system.
10. Replace One Meal Each Day With A Smoothie
Pick your favourite blend of smoothies, and replace one meal each day with it. This isn’t an extreme measure and won’t cause any harm, and will condition your body into thinking that that’s all the amount of food it needs to get through to the next meal time.
11. Get A Good Massage
If you really want the detox plan to work for you, get a good deep tissue massage from a certified masseuse. It may seem like a luxury, but what it really does is that it reaches deep into your pressure points and help release all the toxins that are built up there.
12. Learn To Listen To Your Body
If something isn’t working for you—a specific workout regime, or even a particular food that may be giving you allergies, listen to your body. Ultimately, it’s only going to stress your body out. Your overall well-being is what you need to focus on.
13. Replace Coffee With Green Tea
Going on a cleanse doesn’t have to be complicated, but it does mean that you make healthier choices that work for you. While the occasional cup of coffee is not harmful, you should instead get green tea which is rich in natural antioxidants. It offers you a slight caffeine boost which will help you jumpstart your morning routine.
14. Try Fasting For A Day Or Two
At the end of each week, or any day of the week that is more suited to you, try fasting. Continue doing everything else that you’re doing as part of your cleanse. But for a day or two, don’t eat at all. Your body starts listening to all the other things that you’re doing and accelerates the process of cleansing.
Photos Courtesy Of: VisualHunt
This article is part of the EatTreat campaign to eat better and live more consciously. We are creating the #EatEffect. Are you with us? #GreenIsTheNewBlack. Come see us at our event – The Great Winter Picnic.
- 4 Ways To Eat Extra Creamy Mashed Potatoes When You Have Some Left Over - January 17, 2017
- #EatCheap: 6 Budget Restaurants In GK II When You’re Feeling The Cash Burn - January 17, 2017
- Chef Saby’s New Cafe Is Coming To Meherchand Market & It Looks Like A Festival! - January 15, 2017
- We Tried The Goan Chorizo-Infused Bloody Mary At Lady Baga & It Was SO GOOD! - January 14, 2017
- #EatCheap: 5 Budget Restaurants In Connaught Place Meals For 2 Under INR 500 - January 14, 2017
- Celebrate The Warmth Of Lohri With An Organic Brunch At Devang House - January 13, 2017
- McDonald’s Is Going To Have Masala Dosa Burgers On Their Menu - January 12, 2017
- Burn The Fat Without Burning A Hole In Your Pocket At These Places In Indirapuram - January 12, 2017
- #EatCheap At These Cheap Restaurants In Noida When You’re on A Tight Budget! - January 11, 2017
- Now, Vendors Serving Street Food In Delhi Will Be Seen Wearing A Uniform - January 11, 2017